Take a look at this beautiful candle holder that was given to us by someone in recognition of our wedding. To be totally honest, it has been in our attic, but it was re-discovered throughout the course of the move. What I would like you to take a close look at is the detail that was given in order to ensure that the candles would stay in place. See those sharp, spiky pieces poking out? This perfect, well thought-out decoration was the cause of this...
This is Cole's first real, bloody boo-boo. You see, the candle holder was in this box of random kitchen things that were given to us as wedding gifts. I sorted and sifted through that box before I gave it to Cole to play with. I even took out a couple of knives, just like any good mother would. I seem to have overlooked the candle holder, however. After Cole had played in this box for approximately 30 seconds, he started to cry out in pain. When I looked him over, I noticed a little blood on one foot, but at that point he had stopped crying and had gone on his merry way. The blood appeared to have come from a little scratch. No big deal. Then a few minutes later we went upstairs for a diaper change. It was at this point that I noticed his other foot. He had two gashes, still bleeding! THIS is where the blood had come from. I'm sure the gashes wouldn't have looked very deep to any normal bystander, but to me, a mother gazing upon her child's first boo-boo, I thought he needed stitches. I contemplated taking him to the ER, but decided against it.
Needless to say, he's healing nicely. He acts as if this event never happened--no limping, no wincing when I put his shoes on, no whining as I washed the cuts. I guess it all goes to show a few things: moving can be dangerous, looks can be deceiving, and first boo-boos generally aren't something to fret about.
**P.S. If you are the one who purchased this candle holder for us, we do thank you. It really is beautiful and your kindness in thinking of us as we married was greatly appreciated. I do, however, want you to know that this item is now safely in its new home--the garbage can.